Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday Rant - no, I'm not a health nazi

So for the most part, I eat healthy food. I tend to hold forth about healthy food and related topics when I'm writing on my blog, but in real life I go with the flow. The thing is, my co-workers think I eat REALLY healthy, whereas my family probably things I'm just so-so healthy. This is because I'm always bringing in my home-made lunch to work and eating healthy snacks, and when I go out to eat with my family, I get what I want to eat, since I hardly ever go out to restaurants. And I'm not shy with dessert.

Enter the Dunkin' Donuts munchkins.

There was a 1/2-3/4 of a box of munchkins left over after a meeting. I was in the kitchen making some tea when the doughnuts arrived. One of my other coworkers was taking a break in the kitchen as well (this is the same coworker who was the subject of another rant).

And seriously, pass up doughnuts? Are you kidding? I grabbed a couple of the chocolate glazed munchkins. And coworker is looking at me like I've just given birth to an alien or something. "I thought you didn't eat anything that wasn't healthy?!" (he's always trying to convince me to eat cookies or soda or whatever).

Granted, the example of my eating habits he's seen so far has been a very healthy one (much like the example my dad has is of me eating a LOT). But come on, outright amazement? Did he really think I never eat any desserts whatsoever? Even the biggest health nazi eats some things sometimes that aren't good for you, right? He was entirely flabbergasted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever eat donuts - not because I don't want to...trust me, a vanilla frosting stuffed powdered donut sounds orgasmic - but I know what nutritional bombs they are. Still, when I worked in an office, if someone brought in DD holes, I would pop a few in my mouth - one in the morning after breakfast, another two at lunch. Basically, I was eating donuts all day long. And eclairs or danish if people brought that crap in. And M&Ms out of my co-worker's candy bowl at, like, 9am. By the handful.

JavaChick said...

Too funny! I'm a similar sort - I bring my lunches/snacks to work, and they are usually healthy, homemade stuff. In the past I have had coworkers comment that I eat a lot of vegetables (I'm sure my parents would find that hilarious after the trouble they had getting me to eat my veggies when I was a kid).

But just because I try to make sure I include lots of healthy stuff in my diet does not mean that I never have treats.

Missicat said...

Dunkin Donut holes are very hard to resist. You have to treat yourself occasionally!

The Lethological Gourmet said...

Weighting, I rarely eat donuts either, but I can't resist the occasional chocolate glazed, especially if they're munchkin sized! I used t work at a company where there were always tons of treats, and every time I'd walk past, I'd grab a handful.

Java, I never ate veggies as a kid either, so I think my parents find it funny I eat all the wacky veggies now. And I think eating so healthy makes me able to eat some of the bad stuff sometimes too...

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh man, donut holes are nearly impossible to pass up, but at least they're portion controlled!

People sure love to categorize other folks don't they!

Melissa said...

Hey, moderation in all things. Including moderation.

The Lethological Gourmet said...

Melissa, that's awesome! Moderate moderation. I'll have to remember that.

Crabby, people sure do love to categorize other people. They're either the "fat one" "the healthy one" "the exercise nut" "the crazy one" and so on and so forth. What confounds people is when you don't fit into the hole they've pegged you to.

http://del.icio.us/feeds/json/tags/LethologicalGourmet