Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Breakfast of Champions

In case any of you missed the swimming yesterday (I think it was yesterday, it's hard to keep track of with my DVR), the American men's team won the freestyle relay. Cue Michael Phelps screaming for what seemed like ten minutes (or was that instant replay?).

So then they do a little background on Michael Phelps (and seriously, he has the cutest puppy ever, I have total puppy envy). And they read out of his autobiography (can you believe a 23-year old has an autobio already?) what he would eat for an average day for breakfast:

- 3 Sandwiches of fried eggs, lettuce, tomato, cheese, fried onions, and mayo
- one omelet
- a bowl of grits (is Baltimore considered the south?)
- 3 slices of french toast with powdered sugar
- 3 chocolate chip pancakes

He's supposed to eat 8000-10,000 calories a day. A DAY! In the piece they had on the tv, he basically says he eats as much as he can put in, because no matter how much he eats, he doesn't break 200lbs. Can you imagine how much he must be swimming on a regular basis that he can eat that much per day and not gain weight? Wow. His breakfast is more than I'd eat in an entire day.

They showed a dinner out at a Chinese restaurant, and the entire (6-person) table was covered (covered!) with plates of food.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to eat that much (though training that much might be more problematic, I have no idea how he doesn't push into overtraining). But I think it'd be pretty hard to HAVE to eat constantly to keep my weight up. Easier that than to restrict to keep it down, but I think I'd be happy being able to consume about 3000-4000, that'd work for me!

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Egads. I've known bodybuilders that eat 4-5000 a day. But 10,000??? I just read on MSN that the lady running the marathon for the US is 5'7" 105 lbs and eats 4,000 cals/day. So there you go - just take up ultramarathoning;)

The Lethological Gourmet said...

I also read about one of the judo players in the paralympics eats about 12,000 a day. Yikes! Apparently he does a ton of weight lifting and cardio all day.

I don't know how any of these athletes doesn't get overtraining syndrome. Seriously. You'd think after the Olympics they'd be so happy to never see a pool/track again! Or at least, not for a while...

Anonymous said...

wow.

I might be in for the training if I could consume all the required calories in chocolate chip pancakes!


I don't know how any of these athletes doesn't get overtraining syndrome.
--------------
I have a few ideas (wink)

JavaChick said...

I would not be able to fit that much food in my stomach. But I do love the idea of being able to eat whatever I wanted...Ah, that would be wonderful.

http://del.icio.us/feeds/json/tags/LethologicalGourmet